Wednesday, August 03, 2005

This One's for Registered Readers with AOL

Good day all,

As you know, it is VERY RARE that we send out Emails beyond our quarterly newsletter. So I'll keep it short and sweet.

Lonnie Hodge, who is a member of the Reading Tub Board of Directors is participating in an annual event called a blogathon that raises a lot of money for a host of great causes. He plans to update his blog (onemanbandwith.com) every 30 minutes for 24 hours beginning Saturday. He has selected the Reading Tub as the charity he will support this year. This is his campaign ad:

Now, remember when you were in school and you would bowl for charity? And for every pin you knocked down you got, say, ten cents? Or run for a dollar a mile? During the Blogathon, people update their websites every 30 minutes for 24 hours straight. For this, they collect sponsorships. Pledges can be a flat donation, or a certain amount for every hour the blogger manages to stay awake
.

I have enough Thai coffee on hand to run an ultra-marathon, up a hill of oozing okra. So, prepare for the max!

As many of you know I am on the Board of Directors for The Reading Tub. It is a fantastic site (http://www.thereadingtub.com ) with an important mission and vision: Children's Literacy. It is a federally recognized charity so, you can deduct your donations. I have proudly watched Terry Doherty, the heart and soul of this project, take this from a hint of an idea, to an important and nationally acclaimed work of art.

I have done little more than help out with SEO and burden Terry with dozens of new ideas. She has become a a web master, SEO guru, publicist and powerful family advocate in the last year. Help out the Tub!!

This (me) crazed liberal writer, living in a communist country [China], cannot find adequate words to express my awe and admiration for Terry or her tremendous success in support of women, writers, children, and families. I propose:

1. You click on the link below and make a pledge. Be sure to look for my blog name: Onemanbandwidth.

For every twenty dollar pledge I will send you a copy of my next book. I am working on it now: Expat's Syndrome. It may be a month or three but, I will get you a signed copy. Send me an email at seo@sinotrading.us to let me know you pitched in.

I will be answering questions on the site about SEO, Literature, China, and anything you throw at me. I am sure it will get much funnier as time passes on the blogathon clock.

2. Send this email to everyone you know.

3. If you have a company I offer you this: I NEVER put ads on my blog, but I will put a banner up for one month if you donate 500 bucks! The blog is getting 6,600 page views a day. THAT is a deal.

4. Tune in on Saturday to http://onemanbandwidth.com/wordpress and watch me deteriorate. If there is such a thing as writing in tongues (blogalalia?) I will surely be doing it by hour 24!!

Be well...Thanks in advance. Wish me luck if nothing else...

LONNIE B. HODGE (The B is for Blogger-- on Sunday it will stand for Brain Dead)

The Reading Tub has this to add: Any Company that matches Lonnie's challenge, will also receive one month of banner ad space on the Reading Tub, ad space in our Newsletter, and a 6-month banner on Scrub-a-Dub-Tub, the Reading Tub's blog.

Warmest regards, and as always, thanks for helping us change the face of literacy!